The march organisers are doing their best to draw attention to the continuing barbaric behaviour of Zionist Israel towards Gaza and the Palestinian population in general.
About 1,400 marchers are currently in Cairo, having been prevented by the Egyptian Authorities from crossing into Gaza. It seems that the Egyptians, having proved themselves useless at fighting Zionist Israel, have decided it would be more profitable for them to do it's dirty work instead. With it's actions against the marchers and the construction of yet another wall (underground this time - see pic above) Egypt has become something of a Zionist poodle - a bit like the UK relationship with the US really. As a perceptive commentator said recently (can't recall where) "With its surrounding Arab countries as 'enemies', Israel has little need of friends" - ouch!
My guess is that all this seriously rankles with the average Egyptian. Their Western supported (not to say dictated to) government is sowing the wind. I wonder if it is ready for the whirlwind?
Anyway, the march has just issued 'The Cairo Declaration' as follows:
January 1, 2010
We, international delegates meeting in Cairo during the Gaza Freedom March 2009 in collective response to an initiative from the South African delegation, state:
In view of:
- Israel`s ongoing collective punishment of Palestinians through the illegal occupation and siege of Gaza;
- the illegal occupation of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and the continued construction of the illegal Apartheid Wall and settlements;
- the new Wall under construction by Egypt and the US which will tighten even further the siege of Gaza;
- the contempt for Palestinian democracy shown by Israel, the US, Canada, the EU and others after the Palestinian elections of 2006;
- the war crimes committed by Israel during the invasion of Gaza one year ago;
- the continuing discrimination and repression faced by Palestinians within Israel;
- and the continuing exile of millions of Palestinian refugees;
- all of which oppressive acts are based ultimately on the Zionist ideology which underpins Israel;
- in the knowledge that our own governments have given Israel direct economic, financial, military and diplomatic support and allowed it to behave with impunity;
- and mindful of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People (2007)
- Palestinian Self-Determination
- Ending the Occupation
- Equal Rights for All within historic Palestine
- The full Right of Return for Palestinian refugees
To that end, we call for and wish to help initiate a global mass, democratic anti-apartheid movement to work in full consultation with Palestinian civil society to implement the Palestinian call for BDS.
Mindful of the many strong similarities between apartheid Israel and the former apartheid regime in South Africa, we propose:
- An international speaking tour in the first 6 months of 2010 by Palestinian and South African trade unionists and civil society activists, to be joined by trade unionists and activists committed to this programme within the countries toured, to take mass education on BDS directly to the trade union membership and wider public internationally;
- Participation in the Israeli Apartheid Week in March 2010;
- A systematic unified approach to the boycott of Israeli products, involving consumers, workers and their unions in the retail, warehousing, and transportation sectors;
- Developing the Academic, Cultural and Sports boycott;
- Campaigns to encourage divestment of trade union and other pension funds from companies directly implicated in the Occupation and/or the Israeli military industries;
- Legal actions targeting the external recruitment of soldiers to serve in the Israeli military, and the prosecution of Israeli government war criminals; coordination of Citizen`s Arrest Bureaux to identify, campaign and seek to prosecute Israeli war criminals; support for the Goldstone Report and the implementation of its recommendations;
- Campaigns against charitable status of the Jewish National Fund (JNF).
Please e-mail us at email@example.com
I find the complicity of the Western World (and most especially the Arab World) surreal - unbelievable - almost like living a dream.
The sheer in-your-face Orwellian inversion of language in almost everything connected with the Israel/Palestine situation when it figures at all in the public utterances of the Western Political Establishment is quite simply breath-taking. How CAN any of them actually believe what they are saying? - I ask somewhat rhetorically. Answer? - THEY DON'T. The High Offices of State in the West require that those appointed or aspiring to them sacrifice any and all principles and considerations of common humanity to the absolute imperative of promoting the OFFICIAL NARRATIVE OF EVENTS (unless there is a 'humanitarian intervention' on the cards of course, in which case their hearts bleed).
That narrative in summary is of a misunderstood alliance of superior democratic, freedom-loving nations valiantly striving to do good in the world.
To describe it as 'Orwellian' does not do justice to its sheer bloody absurdity - and to maintain the Orwellian fiction, we are lied to systematically and kept in a constant state of fearful compliance by the phoney 'war on terror' - War on Terror? - WAR ON TERROR !! - I ask you - Just who the hell do people think have caused more GENUINE terror and death in civilian populations throughout the world than the US/ISRAELI/UK military this past decade?
And to cap it all, the man responsible for more terror, death, bombing and general mayhem than any other individual on the planet for the year in question, has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize! - and what's more actually accepted it with a toe-curlingly embarrassing justification for perpetual 'just' war.
You really couldn't make this stuff up could you? In a rational world any attempt to do so - as a work of fiction say - would simple be laughed at as absurd. But WE are required to live and believe it!
In my dotage I have learned to be thoroughly ashamed of having to hold a 'British' passport. - and when I see puppets like the fresh-faced boy Milliband earnestly trying to patronise me - let alone that reptile Blair - I could be physically sick.
Sorry about the rant. It is cathartic - Not to mention TRUE.
The very best wishes to you and your efforts.