Saturday, February 24, 2007

It's my flag too and I want it back.

If you are English; if you feel any sense of loss over the debasement of English culture at the hands of 'Cool New Britannia'; if you have any sense of injustice/resentment at the constitutional vandalism that has handed political power over England to people who do not have to account for it to their own electors (let alone EU bureaucrats accountable to nobody); if you consider yourself 'English' first and 'British' second (if at all these days); then you should listen to this song.

I think it was a member of 'The Witanagemot Club' that first brought it to my attention a few weeks ago and I've just spotted another reference to it in Guido Fawkes comments. That has prompted me to post this so that I do not lose track of it.

The controversy surrounding the British National Anthem being played at todays Croke Park England/Ireland rugby international brings this confusion over our national identity into sharp focus too. England must be the only team in the world that does not have a National Anthem of its own, but plays that of its opponents at fixtures involving Scotland or Wales.

As I posted on the UTube site when I first heard this song:
"Not many things bring a tear to this old cynics eye. This did. 'I've lost St George in the Union Jack - It's my flag too and I want it Back'. HERE HERE to that! "

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:50 pm

    It's a cracker, on the 10th there was about 400 views, it is heading for 8000 by sunday night.
    The witnesss album is good too.
    ps. Gordon Brown has been sent the link, so 4000 view will be New Labour: bastards.
    Hotspur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:08 pm

    '
    Dear S-Tache

    Welcome back to the Land of the Living

    Derbyshire is indeed the "Best of Counties" (per Jane Austen)

    Do you live near Pemberley ?

    I have the honour to remain Your obedient servant and
    Yours ever

    G Eagle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm in the Peak Park - so not too far from Chatsworth and the other Pemberley locations

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:31 pm

    Hey fella. Happened across your blog.

    The lyric in question is:

    "I've lost St. George AND the Union Jack"

    It's not about England's relationship with the union, but at the hijacking of national pride and its symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:39 pm

    Re: my comment above

    In an astounding bout of checking my facts after opening my 'mouth', I would like to point out, that you are absolutely right, and I am absolutely wrong.

    I'll, no doubt, be getting my coat any moment now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:43 am

    "England must be the only team in the world that does not have a National Anthem of its own, but plays that of its opponents at fixtures involving Scotland or Wales".

    Erm, I think you'll find England is not alone - Scotland and Wales have the same problem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:04 pm

    Think the comment re "it's my flag too" etc is actually about how the far right has hijacked it and how they say that only there perverted sense of identity (eg. not based on any historical facts) is the only valid one.

    ReplyDelete